Martha SparksSociety Editor
May 17, 2013
Residents will have several events to choose from this weekend around the area.
• The Paws Squad, a local animal rescue group, will sponsor a hot dog sale and animal clinic Saturday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The event will be located at 87 Second Ave., in West Logan (the old Blake Flower Shop).
Dr. Michael Koch of the Tug Valley Vet Clinic will provide rabies and 8-1 vaccinations. The cost of shots are Rabies $15 and Vac. 8-1 $10 or Vac. 8-1 only $15. Koch will also have spay/neuter vouchers for $50.
Proceeds from the hot dog sale will go provide animal rescues in Logan County.
• Also in West Logan, the Island Creek Model Railroad Club will host an open house from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The club is located in the building adjacent to West Logan Town Hall
• History buffs can attend Matewan Heritage Day and see the Matewan Massacre Drama. There will be two shows, 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., on Main Street in Matewan. The event will also host street vendors, live music, and a free bean dinner.
• For those who enjoy the outdoors, the county-wide free fish fry will be held at Chief Logan State Park from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Anglers will be able to literally catch their fish and eat it too.
Along with enjoying the fried fish, anglers may also be able to catch one of the tagged channel catfish stocked in the lake this week.
Anglers who catch a tagged fish are asked to return the tag or the tag number along with info on the date of capture, if the fish was kept or released, and the name and address of the angler to WVDNR, 2311 Ohio Ave, Parkersburg, WV 26101. Anglers also can call in the info at 304-420-4550 or provide the information via e-mail email@example.com. Anglers who report a tagged fish will receive the “tagged reward,” park information, a certificate and a letter of congratulations via US mail after the information. Each certificate has a choice of three prizes.
• Also in Chief Logan State Park, although it was not reported to us where they will be located, will be Larry Leamer and Bruce Stanley discussing and signing their book The Price of Justice from 7-9 p.m. at Chief Logan State Park.
Books will be discounted at the event and proceeds will go to Save Blair Mountain.
• For those who love the game of Corn Hole, the Scottish Rite will host a Corn Hole tournament on the DMV lot Saturday. The event will also include a barbeque dinner for a $5 donation, live entertainment, competitions and more. Hours for the event is noon-6 p.m.