Martha Sparks email@example.com
October 10, 2013
Dorsey Darby, 49, of Logan, is being held in Southwestern Regional Jail on a second arson charge.
The Logan Police Department booked Darby on October 7 for allegedly setting fire to a building on High Street on Sept. 2.
The criminal complaint states that a witness saw Darby throw liquid onto the residence at 73 High Street and set it on fire. A second witness places the defendant at the residence prior to the fire.
Darby, who had recently been released from SWRJ on a $20,000 bond, had been indicted by the September Grand Jury for allegedly setting the same residence, 73 High Street, on fire in May 2013. In that complaint, Darby is accused of setting a cardboard box on fire in the basement of the residence.
Darby was charged with arson 1st degree for the September 2 incident and is being held pending bond revocation.
• Michael Murphy, aka “Smurf”, 46, was booked on a warrant charge of night time burglary by the Logan County Sheriff’s Department on Sept. 27. Murphy is accused of entering a residence at Huff Creek and stealing medications and $200 cash from the purse of the resident. His bail was set at $6,000.
• David Matthew Harvey, 29, was booked on a warrant arrest by the West Virginia State Police on Sept. 29 for battery, littering and assault charges stemming from a July incident.
Harvey had first been arrested on July 14, 2013 multiple charges.
According to the complaint, officers responded to a fight in the community of Mt. Gay. Upon their arrival, they located Harvey, along with a companion, walking down the railroad tracks. When officers told them to stop, the duo disobeyed the order and fled but the officers apprehended them a short distance away. Officers allegedly found a Suboxone in Harvey’s pocket that he did not have a valid prescription for, along with one marijuana roach and one marijuana blunt.
Harvey was booked on July 14 for obstructing, fleeing on foot, simple possession (marijuana) and possession of a controlled substance. During his release at Southwestern Regional Jail, Harvey allegedly grabbed a correctional officer by the wrist and pushed her after she told him to pick up his release papers that he had threw on the ground. Harvey fled from the area, but WVSP officers who responded to the correctional officer’s call for back up found Harvey’s release papers ripped into pieces and scattered throughout the jail’s parking lot which resulted in the charges of assault, battery and littering.
Harvey’s bail was set at $3,000.
In other magistrate court news:
• Stephen Alexander Thompson, 30, was booked on Sept. 28 by the LPD for domestic battery. His bail was set at $1,500.
• Phillip Brian Kitchen, 35, was booked on Sept. 28 by the WVSP for possession of a controlled substance and petit larceny. His bail was set at $2,500.
• Michael Lee Keaton, 49, was booked on Sept. 29 by the LCSD for failure to maintain control of vehicle, possession of a controlled substance and DUI. His bail was set at $2,500.
• Sheridan Justin Bartram, 28, was booked on Sept. 29 by the WVSP for fleeing on foot, fleeing no vehicle, obstruction, probation violation, two counts domestic battery and two counts domestic assault 1st/2nd (by threats). His bail was set at $5,000.
• Alisha Esque, 23, was booked on Oct. 2 by the LPD for shoplifting 3rd offense. Her bail was set at $5,000.
Criminal complaints are public information. Charges listed in an indictment are merely accusations; defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.