Ron Gregory email@example.com
December 13, 2013
CHARLESTON — One of the seven candidates to be appointed to the Mingo County judge position left vacant by the resignation of former Circuit Judge Michael Thornsbury has withdrawn her candidacy.
Letitia Chafin said Thursday she sent a letter to the Judicial Vacancy Advisory Commission, notifying them of her decision.
Chafin, who applied just before the deadline last week, said “a lot of thought went into my decision.”
She said she feels the need to “concentrate more on our law practice,” which she shares with her husband, State Senator H. Truman Chafin.
Tish Chafin added that, “when I filed there was a fear that no good, qualified candidate would file. I am happy to see that there are several outstanding candidates, any one of whom would do a good job as circuit judge. That gives me comfort in withdrawing.”
Others who applied for the position, which became open when Thornsbury agreed to plead in a federal corruption investigation are: Robert H. Carlton, Jonathan Wayne Jewell, Steven Johnson Knopp, Teresa McCune, Glen R. Rutledge, II, and Miki Thompson.
The commission has scheduled interviews with the candidates for Monday, December 16. According to state law, a replacement judge is to be named within 90 days.
The commission can recommend from two to five names to Governor Earl Ray Tomblin, who has the ultimate responsibility to make the appointment.