CHAPMANVILLE — A little after 5 p.m. Friday July 31, a hazardous materials situation unfolded at Dr. Thomas Vigo’s Family HealthCare office on Shae Avenue in Chapmanville. Office staff discovered an unknown white powdery substance in a trash can and the Logan County HazMat Team was called in to investigate.
Upon arrival, the HazMat Team, along with the assistance of the Chapmanville Fire Department, LEASA, and the Logan County Sheriff’s Office, set up a full hazardous materials and mitigation response. Teams entered the office and collected the unknown substance and deemed the office safe after more than an hour of intense work.
The State Emergency Management Office as well as the CDC (Center for Disease Control) were notified and kept up to date as to the progress of the situation.
According to Logan County Sheriff Sonya Porter, the HazMat team collected a sample of the substance and had it sent to Charleston for analysis. Sheriff Porter said “This was a great response by all agencies”
The doctor’s office was deemed safe and turned back over to the staff for normal operations.
There were no reports of injuries to patients, staff, or responding emergency officials.
The situation was deemed a “Low Risk” exposure according to Sheriff Porter.