City, Ferrell to upgrade parking lot


J.D. Charles - Contributing Writer



LOGAN — The Town of Logan in conjunction with property owner Mike Farrell will be upgrading and operating the parking lot on the site of the old Aracoma Hotel.

For well more than a year Farrell has been letting the city use the property for a parking lot for the courthouse free of charge.

Logan Mayor Serafino Nolletti said that Ferrell had met with the city in order to discuss the future of the property. Soon it will be closed and renovated with more than a dozen numbered spaces.

“We will set a date to close it,” the Mayor said, noting that those who park there will be notified by fliers on their vehicles. “When it reopens there will be a charge to park there. He wants $50 per month. He will share $25 a month of that to the city. In return the city will handle enforcement and collection.”

Former Logan Police Chief David White, who was filling in for current Chief E.K. Harper, told the council that 30 numbered spots will be put in using 6×6 boards.

“If you park there without a permit, you will get a citation,” White said. “If you have a permit and you do not have it displayed and you park there, you will get a citation.”

Longtime former mayor Tom Esposito filled the Logan City Council in on the latest news from the Federal Emergency Management Agency at Tuesday’s City Council Meeting.

Esposito said that more checks were being released by FEMA to pay for recently completed projects in town, some of which go back to a major storm that hit a few years ago.

“We are closing out on some of those projects and what you have to remember is that we got hit very hard across the city,” Esposito said. “But some of the repairs made should be an actual improvement and withstand the test of time for our residents.”

Esposito said there were a lot of problems from a storm that hit on March the 13th and 14th and that the city was in a bind because there was only 30 days to make full applications to FEMA for assistance.

“A lot of people told us frankly that we were not going to get anything,” Esposito said. “But to his credit Mayor Nolletti contacted officials in Philadelphia and he made several requests and the applications got in on time. We were informed that we would be receiving assistance on these projects. Had he not gotten them in we could have been left out on this last disaster.

Esposito said several drain lines in the city had been clogged and had to be blown out noting that one of the requests was for $32,000 for the City of Logan Water Board to clear some pipes in one area of town and it had been approved.

“We had numerous site visits,” Esposito added, noting that Street Commissioner Kevin Marcum, Fire Chief Scott Beckett and longtime city employee Artie Willis were a tremendous help in dealing with the officials during those visits.

“We have another check coming and a contractor lined up to blow out three impacted lines — that project is ready to go,” Esposito said, noting that one of the projects will probably be well over $100,000.

“We were told we would get nothing, but because the mayor and the staff worked hard on this it has saved the city around $200,000,” Esposito said. “We have been hit hard several times since 2012 by a string of natural disasters — but the Mayor and his staff and council have done a great job in recovering.”

J.D. Charles

Contributing Writer

J.D. Charles is a freelance writer and a former reporter for The Logan Banner.

J.D. Charles is a freelance writer and a former reporter for The Logan Banner.

comments powered by Disqus