LOGAN, W.Va. — On September 11, 2016, the Logan Ministerial Association and the citizens of Logan honored the First Responders of Logan and the immediate Logan County area.
These unheralded and unsung heroes attended a celebration in their honor at the Logan Middle School.
Rev. Thomas Beckette opened the celebration with some words of remembrance from that day fifteen years ago…
“On September 11, 2001, fifteen years ago, something happened that changed our perception of EMS personnel, firefighters and police officers. Those brave men and women turned Ground Zero in to Ground Hero. Every day from small towns to large metropolises, these first Responders put their lives on the line for others. They never know when the next call will come and what they will face at the next scene. Their jobs dictate that they have a small window of time that can mean the difference between life and death for persons they are called to serve.” — Excerpt from First Responder’s Bible HCSB
“We honor and celebrate Our Unsung Heroes on this September 11, 2016…
“What They Do Here and Now, Is No Less Sacred!”
The Logan High School ROTC posted the Colors for this event which was followed by Rev. Jim Musgrave of the First Presbyterian Church leading the “Pledge to Allegiance”. The National Anthem was sung by Chris Terpening (a member of the “Brothers In the Cross”). Rev. Josh Vanhook from the Word of Life had a “Moment of Silence” and a prayer as the brothers and sisters that had fallen as First Responders were recognized.
Special music by The Brothers in the Cross, a quartet from Charleston, W.Va., shared their gospel message to the First Responders. Rev. Bruce Reed, former pastor at Nighbert Memorial United Methodist Church, shared his testimony as he related the powerful story of how First Responders took care of his wife during a critical time in their life.
A wonderful dinner was had by all which included Beef Brisket and good old fried chicken with Baked Potato, Green Beans, Salad and Dressing prepared by local chef Roger Ramey. Desserts were provided by New Era Bakery.
After dinner, special guest speaker, Rev. Barry Ball from the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Task Force in Hagerstown, Md., shared with First Responders his appreciation for their dedication and passion and that they are not alone in their work, the Lord is always with them.
Every First Responder received some a very special gift — a leather bound specialty Bible. There was a red Bible embossed with the Firefighters logo, a blue Bible embossed with the Emergency Medical Services logo and a black Bible embossed with the Police Officer’s logo. Each Bible was signed by their Captain, Chief or Sheriff and members of the Logan Ministerial Association.
First Responders honored were:
- W.Va. State Police Logan Detachment: Captain D. M. Nelson; Lt. B.M. Brown; Lt. J.C. Lee; Lt. C.G. Wiles; F/Sgt. A.S. Perdue; Sgt. R.L. Frye; Sgt. J.C. Dotson; Sgt. L.J. McClung; Sgt. C.D. Kuhn; Tfc. C.S. Maynard; Tfc. T.G. Boggs; Sr. Tpr. J.G. Honaker; Sr. Tpr. R.E. Stowers; Sr. Tpr. M.A. Broadwater; Sr. Tpr. J.E. Garren; Tpr. N.C. Boothe; Tpr. M.J. Miller; Tpr. S.P. Bowling; Tpr. T.J. Hannon; Tpr. Z.S. Holden; Tpr. S.M. Thompson; Corporal P.A. Jones (K-9) and Jackie Lester.
- Logan County Sheriff’s Department: Sheriff Sonya M. Dingess Porter; Chief Michael A. Mayes; Captain Dennis E. Brown; Sgt. Michael C. Sutherland; Cpl. Matthew B. Carter; Sgt. Burley E. Ferrell; Cpl. Terry R. Brumfield; Cpl. Jason L. Mathis; Sgt. Brian D. Cobb; Sgt. Freddie N. Ferrell II; Cpl. Joseph N. Sheppard; Dep. Joseph A. Lyall; Dep Shaun D. Townsend; Cpl. Nicholas M. Booth; Dep. Nicholas D. Tucker; Dep. Derrick J. Miller; Dep. Robert L. Johnson; Dep. Coty A. Crum; Dep. Zachery T. Lilly and Dep. Barry A. Mynes.
- Mitchell Heights Police: Cameron Sammons
- West Logan Police: Robert Ward
- Logan City Police: Chief E.K. Harper; Dave Adkins; Robert Adkins Jr.; Everette Maynard; Kevin Conley; Artie Willis; Bob Thompson; Jimmy Shepherd; Wes Harvey and Jonathan Ziegler.
- Logan Fire Station: Chief Scott Beckett; Jeremy Steele; Mike Beckett; Chris Hatfield; Nick Ferrell; Justin Conley; Steve Trent; Greg “Fuji” Williams; Jimmy Ward; Matt Hopkins; Chris Deskins; James Casey; Jordan Evans; Timmy Pritchard; Derrick Lambert; Donald Copley; Chad Baisden; Aaron Fry; Brad Furrow; Jon Casto; Ray Bryant; Timmy Duncan; Jameson Copley; Ernie Woods; Jessie Hatfield; Chandler Phillips; Daniel Adkins; Mike Gibson; Roger Casto; James Hardin; TJ Tomblin and Troy Burgess.
- Henlawson Fire Station: Chief Harold Ward; Bernard Maynard; Tim Granger; Doug Viars; Eric Curry; Becky Blevins; Timmy Prichard; Roger Farmer; Kristen Prichard; Laura Ward; Joe Elliot; Wayne Johnson; Zack Ball; Lisa Peyton; Nick Ferrell; Ray Perry; Elizabeth Hensley; Renae Justice and Aaron Anderson.
- Verdunville Fire Station: Chief Windell Hunter; Jonathan Butcher; Nick Adams Jr.; Carl Harris; Nickie “Moose” Adams III; Melissa Harris; Chad Smith; Brianna Blankenship; Josh Jeffery; Ricky Evans; Roger Farmer; Ted Sparks; Elissia Hunter and Timmy Hall.
- Main Island Creek Fire Station: Chief Steve Stone; Jessie Hatfield; Chris Adkins; Chad Barnette; Dan Vance; Forrest Trent; Jerrica Adkins; Robbie Johnson; Michael Gibson; Ryan Simpkins; Amy Trent; Willard McCoy; Pat Calloway; Jacob Vinson; Wildie Adkins; Ryan Queen; David Lambert; Jill Stone; Barry Gearhart; Cieara Gearhart; Morgan Tabor; Jennifer Perry; Steven Perry; Seth Williamson; David Matney; Caitlyn Bedford; Jessica Burgess; Charlie Hipshire; Zachary Dehart; Brandon Workman; Kenneth Mounts and Hannah Runyon.
Emergency Medical Technicians
- Executive Director Roger Bryant
- Logan EMT’s Station 30: William David Maynard; Tim Arthur; Bill Weese; Brady McCleese; Ray Bryant; Cindy Adams; Tommy Queen; Jon Casto; Rodney Workman; Chelsey Workman; Mark Huffman; Phillip DeHart; Dana Bennett; Elizabeth Jeffrey; Kevin Hutchinson; Gloria Abad; Scott Hutchinson; David Walls; Thomas Stickler; Jim Adkins; Brianna Blankenship; Bobby Boehm; Byron Price; Timmy Bryant; William Dudding; Brian Rose; Joseph Dudding; Catharine White; John Toler and Cindy Hamrick.
- Chapmanville EMT’s Station 20: Curtis Workman; Dustin Smith; Charles Smith; John Blankenship; Cody Perry and Paul Watts.
- Man EMT’s Station 40: Gregory Christian; Brendon Brown; Debra Brown; JB Back; Anthony Browning and Chris Neace
- Omar EMT’s Station 50: David Green: Chandler Phillips; Stewart Dalrymple; Scottie Akers; Jordan Browning and Steven Pope.
Pictures were taken of the First responders with their family or leader in front of the American flag which will be presented to them at a later date along with a group picture.
The celebration closed with a Benediction by the Rev. Daniel Lawrence from New Covenant Fellowship.
To all the people, churches and individuals that made contributions starting with Holy Week services in March 2016 through August of this year…more than $7,000 was raised to make this day possible.
Appreciation is extended to the following parties for their donations, participation and support to help make the celebration possible: Rev. Barry Ball; Brothers in the Cross; Dwight Neal; Family Discount Pharmacy at Stollings; Logan High School; Logan Middle School; Logan Ministerial Association; Logan Regional Medical Center; Logan Shriners; New Era Bakery; Pat Hutchinson; Recovery Group of Southern WV; Roger Ramey; Thornhill Ford; UPS Store and Word of Life Church.