CHIEF LOGAN STATE PARK — The Logan County Chamber of Commerce will have their 2013 Chief Logan Hunting and Fishing Expo this Saturday, August 24, and Sunday, August 25, at Chief Logan Conference Center at Chief Logan State Park.
Headlining the Expo will be stars Ron and Amy Shirley of the hit reality TV show Lizard Lick Towing and Recovery Company. In addition to their TV show, the couple are avid outdoorsmen and hunters and members of the celebrity Bowtech team. Ron and Amy will be in attendance on Saturday and Sunday to greet fans, and there is no additional fee to meet the pair.
Also returning is Frank Addington, Jr., “The Aspirin Buster”, as a featured presenter. Addington has been demonstrating his bow and arrow skills to audiences for more than two decades. His nickname has been earned because during his presentations, Addington wows audiences by splitting an aspirin in half with an arrow.
New to the Expo this year are Kenny and Aharon Davis of Appalachian Big Game TV and Tachycardia Outdoors. The hunting experts will be doing a featured presentation on hunting whitetails in the Appalachian region versus hunting whitetails in the Midwest. Another newcomer is Bill Carmen with the Rocky Mount Elk Foundation. Mr. Carmen will be giving a presentation on Saturday and Sunday.
A National Wildlife and Turkey Federation-sanctioned “Turkey Calling Contest” will be held on Saturday, August 24. Emceeing the competition will be Chris Walls, a world and two-time national turkey calling champion. Registration for the contest begins at 10 a.m. There will be a mandatory callers’ meeting at 1 p.m. and the contest officially begins at 2 p.m.
Additional attractions for the Expo include: DNR youth challenge, ATV safety demonstrations, an air rifle range, the Hawg Trough fishing pond, a laser shot trailer, fishing demonstrations, and bird dog demonstrations with Bob Fala. The first 500 children ages 12 and under will receive free admission to the event, courtesy of Gatti’s Pizza of Logan.
In addition to presenters and activities, the Expo will feature many hunting and fishing vendors, food vendors, and musical entertainment. The Expo will run from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday and from 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. There will be on-site parking and admission to attend is $5.
Below is the Schedule of Events for the Expo:
• 10-10:30 a.m. — Chris Walls: Turkey Calling on the indoor stage and the Bird Dog Demonstration with Bob Falaat the outside entrance corner lot
• 10 a.m. — Sign-Ups for NWTF Sanctioned Calling Contest
• 10:30-11:30 a.m. — Frank Addington Jr., “The Aspirin Buster”, on the indoor stage
• 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. — Archery Range with the WV Bowhunters Association
• 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m. — Bill Carmen with the Rocky Mount Elk Foundation
• 12:30-1:30 p.m. — Frank Addington Jr.: Amazing Accuracy with His Hoyt Bow
• 1 p.m. — NWTF: Mandatory Callers Meeting
• 1:30-2 p.m. — NWTF: Announcements
• 2-5:30 p.m. — NWTF Turkey Calling Contest
• 5:30-6 p.m. — Kenny Davis, Appalachian Big Game TV: “Hunting Whitetails in Appalachia vs. Hunting Whitetails in the Midwest”
• TBA: — Prize Drawings for Youth Challenge
• 6-7 p.m. — Frank Addington Jr. “The Aspirin Buster” on the indoor stage
Outside Stage Events:
• 4:30 p.m. — McVanHat Band
All Day Events include Wall of Shame Display, Trout Pond (Children’s Activity), Hawg Trough, Air Rifle Public Shooting with Rick McAllister, Germ City sponsored by the WVU Extension Agency, Youth Challenge, Hunting Simulator (Laser Shot Trailer), Inflatable BB Gun
• 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. — WV Bowhunter’s Association Archery
• 10:30-11 a.m. — Bob Fala: What Can I Do for Wildlife Conservation?
• 11-11:30 a.m. — Chris Walls on the indoor stage
• 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. — Frank Addington Jr., “The Aspirin Buster”, on the indoor stage
• 12:30-1 p.m. — Bill Carmen, Rocky Mount Elk Foundation on the indoor stage
• 1-1:30 p.m. — Kenny Davis of Tachycardia Outdoors on the indoor stage
• 1:30-2:30 p.m. — Frank Addington Jr., “The Aspirin Buster”, on the indoor stage
• 2:30-3 p.m. — Prize Drawings for Youth Challenge on the indoor stage
Outside Stage Events:
• 12:30-1 p.m. — Chris Walls: Turkey Calling
• 1-2 p.m. — Kaitlyn Boytek: “Wishing” Tour
• 2-3 p.m. — Kayla Sloan and the Easy Street Band
All day events include Wall of Shame Display, Trout Pond (Children’s Activity), Hawg Trough, Air Rifle Public Shooting with Rick McAllister, WV Bowhunter’s Association Archery, Youth Challenge, Hunting Simulator (Laser Shot Trailer), Inflatable BB Gun