CHARLESTON – Local volunteer Larry Rogers of Omar will be among twelve outstanding individuals, families and organizations to be honored for their dedication to service on Wednesday, August 7. First Lady Joanne Jaeger Tomblin will present the awards at the annual Governor’s Service Awards banquet at the Charleston Civic Center.
The banquet is held as a part of Faces of Leadership, the annual state volunteerism conference.
Presented since 1995, the Governor’s Service Awards is administered by Volunteer West Virginia, the state’s Commission for National and Community Service.
Recipients of the 2013 Governor’s Service Awards and their awards are:
• Lifetime Achievement: Ruth Thayer of Wayne County and Duke Horstemeyer of Hancock County
• Youth: Tiffani Webb of Cabell County
• Adult: Thomas McChesney of Cabell County and Nancy Kissinger of Raleigh County
• Senior: Gloria Martin of Greenbrier County and Rogers of Logan County
• Family: Pamela and James McPeak of Monroe County
• National Service: Colleen Barnhart of Pleasants County
• Organization: The Carpenter’s Corner of Raleigh County, Upper Big Branch Mining Memorial Group of Boone County and Alderson Ministerial Association of Greenbrier County
For tickets to the awards banquet, or information about the conference, contact Moya Doneghy at (304) 558-0111 or 1-800-WV-HELPS, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer West Virginia, the state’s Commission for National & Community Service, is a state agency dedicated to promoting the spirit of volunteerism throughout West Virginia by enabling West Virginians of all ages to strengthen their communities through service and volunteerism.