Logan’s Gore scores 18 points in Marshall debut


HUNTINGTON — To say the Marshall women’s basketball team had a successful first night out would be quite the understatement, as the Thundering Herd dominated the Kentucky Christian Knights 113-36 in an exhibition game Wednesday evening.

Setting the pace for the Herd was Taylor Porter (Fort Gay, W.Va.), who scored 21 points and accounted for five rebounds and three assists.

Other big performers for the Herd were Shayna Gore (Logan, W.Va.), who accounted for 18 points and two assists and Kiana Evans (Huntington, W.Va.) scored 15 points and eight rebounds.

Head Coach Matt Daniel was pleased with the outcome but still getting to see some things for his team to work out.

“The jitters should be out of the way and it’s time to get down to the nitty gritty,” Daniel said. “We have a lot we can work on, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Our communication has to get a lot better.”

In the first few minutes of the game, the Herd came out firing on all cylinders, nailing shot after shot from outside. But as the game went on, the Herd began getting points from inside the paint, quickly outscoring KCU.

Gore, backed by quite a sizeable crowd from her hometown, shot out of the gate with three field goals and two 3-pointers. She was 6-for-13 shooting from the floor for the game, including 3-of-9 from 3-point land. Gore was 3-for-5 from the free throw line and also had four steals.

It was much of the same for the Herd in the second quarter scoring points from both inside and outside of the paint. Leah Scott (Detroit, Mich.) in particular shined in the first half, shooting 4-8. The Herd shot extremely well from the foul line as well, going 10-14.

The biggest story from the first half, however, would be the Herd defense. With the Herd accruing 14 defensive rebounds, two blocks and 10 steals. Defensive leaders for the Herd in the half were Talequia Hamilton (Huntington, W.Va.), who had two blocks, Norrisha Victrum (Columbia, S.C.) and Gore with two steals each.

At the end of the first half, the Herd led the Knights 55-15.

At the start of the second half, the Herd had a hard time getting things going, missing its first five shots, but some well-placed foul shots by Scott and Hamilton kept things on track for a Herd victory. It wasn’t until a 3-pointer by Evans at the 8:19 mark for the Herd to end the drought.

The Herd mainly relied on foul shots in the third quarter, going 11-18 from the line. The Herd defense also had a great quarter, recording one block, five defensive rebounds and five steals.

At the conclusion of the third quarter, the Herd led the Knights 83-25.

At the start of the fourth, both teams came out almost equal, trading shot for shot. But although KCU made a few shots, the game was just too out of hand for the Knights to really make a comeback, and the Herd coasted to a 113-36 victory.

Up next, the Herd travels to Morehead State to take on the Eagles, Nov. 13, with tip off set for 5:30 p.m.



comments powered by Disqus