Man charged with Texting While Driving
The first “texting while driving” charge in Logan County was issued to a Philipi man by the West Virginia State Police.
Jere Dell Morrison, 22, of Philipi, was cited for texting while driving by WVSP Senior Trooper J.K. Harris on October 17. Along with the texting charge, Morrison was also arrested and charged with no proof of insurance and two counts of possession of a controlled substance, less than 15 grams.
According to the criminal complaint, Harris responded to a call from the West Logan Speedway that an employee had witnessed the delivery of a controlled substance.
Harris was told that the suspects were traveling in a white Toyota Tacoma, which was passing the Speedway at the time. Harris caught up to the vehicle when he observed “the vehicle exit the right side of the roadway before abruptly returning to the roadway.”
After Harris initiated a traffic stop, he reports that Morrison “advised he run off the roadway because he was texting.”
Harris had Morrison and his passenger, Brandon Toney, to exit the vehicle. Harris “observed a small plastic bag emitting from the back of the passenger seat which appeared to contain a green leafy substance believed to be marijuana.” Morrison allegedly admitted that the substance was marijuana and hit belonged to him. Harris also observed the bag contained two green pills which investigation revealed to be Clonazepam, a schedule IV controlled substance.
Toney was allegedly present at the delivery of the controlled substance at the Speedway and was found to be in possession of “$135 in U.S. currency in various denominations.
Morrison was released on a $2,500 bond.
Brandon Gregory Toney, 21, was arrested and charged with two counts of possession of a controlled substance by WVSP Harris on October 17. He was released on a $2,500 bond.
The next day, October 18, Morrison was arrested by the Logan County Sherriff Deputies N.M. Booth and B.D. Cobb for breaking and entering auto, fraudulent use of access device, forgery, uttering and fraudulent schemes. He is being held in the Southwestern Regional Jail on a $15,000 bail.
In other court news:
• Shawna Leigh Nelson, 22, was arrested and charged with possession with the intent to deliver and obstructing an officer by WVSP T.D. Boggs on October 10. She was released on a $1,000 bond.
• Eric Wolfe, 34, was arrested and charged with providing alcohol to a minor on October 10. He was released on a $1,000 bond.
• Timothy Conley, 34, was arrested and charged with domestic assault and obstructing an officer on October 11 by LCSD B.D. Cobb and Chapmanville PD D.A. Browning and L. Preece. He was released on a $2,500 bond.
• Justin Bradley Bryant, 28, was arrested and charged with reckless driving, domestic assault, obstructing an officer and two counts of assault on October 14 by Chapmanville PD Cpl. L. Preece. He was released on a $3,000 bond.
• Benjamin Edward Browning, 44, was arrested and charged with shoplifting, second offense on October 15 by LCSD J.H. Brown II. He is being held in the Southwestern Regional Jail on a $3,000 bail.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices