A Chapmanville man is facing several charges of fraud.
On May 4, the West Virginia State Police spoke to the victim who stated that a check for $70.00 had been cashed from her bank account which she did not write. She alleged that her son, Wesley Hensley, had signed the back of the check and provided the officer with a copy of the check and with several samples of her hand-writing for comparison. The officer concluded that the check had been forged.
The officer found that surveillance film from LB&T showed Hensley cashing the check.
The victim also reported to the officer that Hensley had taken “her husband’s truck”, a 1999 Ford Ranger, without permission and refused to return it or tell her where the truck was located.
The officer contacted H&P Recycling and was told that the defendant had towed the vehicle to the junk yard to be crushed. H&P purchased the truck for $300 for scrap and then the vehicle was crushed.
Hensley, 26, was charged with forgery, uttering, grand larceny, destruction of property (felony) and false pretenses/fraud schemes. His bail was set at $10,000.
Another complaint on the same defendant accuses him of unlawfully using a credit card.
The victim contacted the Chapmanville Police Department on May 31 accusing Hensley of taking his credit card from his residence and using it at two ATMs. Surveillance film showed Hensley of using the card at LB&T on May 28 when he withdrew $302.50 and later that same day he made another withdrawal of $50 at the Speedway in Chapmanville.
Hensley charged with two counts of fraudulent use of a credit card and fraudulent schemes. His bail for those offenses was set at $7,500.
In other court news:
• Abel Tosh Napier, 33, was booked on May 24 by the WVSP for no inspection, drivers license revoked for DUI, no operators, improper/expired registration and no turn signal. His bail was set at $1,000.
• Jason Edward Lambert, 30, was booked on May 26 by the WVSP for possession of a controlled substance and obstructing. His bail was set at $1,500.
• George David Staton, 47, was booked on May 26 by the LPD for domestic battery. His bail was set at $1,500.
• John Woody was booked on June 9 by the WVSP for no operators, following too closely, left of center and DUI. His bail was set at $3,500.
• Gordon Lee Hale, 46, was booked on June 9 by the WVSP for domestic assault 1st/2nd (by threats), domestic battery and unlawful/malicious assault. His bail was set at $7,500.
• Christopher Steven Toler, 23, was booked on June 9 by the Man Police Dept. for DUI and driving while suspended/revoked non DUI. His bail was set at $3,500.
• Mark Dewayne Carpenter, 34, was booked on June 9 by the Logan County Sheriff Deputies for trespassing. His bail was set at $1,000.
• Steven Ramey, 45, was booked on June 9 by the CPD for fleeing on foot and obstructing. His bail was set at $1,500.
• Eldon Dwayne Curtiss, 45, was booked on June 10 by the WVSP for disorderly conduct, trespassing and assault. His bail was set at $1,500.
• Shanna Michelle Payne, 23, was booked on June 10 by the LPD for domestic battery. Her bail was set at $1,000.